Communications and Office Assistant
Location: Halifax, NS
This is an opportunity to work in a non-profit environment for a dynamic organization that supports recreational trail development, maintenance and management in the province of Nova Scotia. NS Trails is looking for an enthusiastic, high energy, creative individual to assist with communications and office support. This position requires someone with a "can-do" attitude who excels in a fastpaced environment and enjoys balancing numerous projects at any given time.
The Communications and Office Assistant will report to the CEO and will assist with internal and external communications along with a wide-variety of services to our members. The successful candidate will have the skills and knowledge to communicate key messages to various publics to promote NS Trails and our members. The position requires an individual who understands strategic communications, media relations, digital and social media marketing to gain public support to advance a cause. The successful candidate will be proficient in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. It also requires the ability and desire to assist with office administrative duties. Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
• A degree or diploma in a professional field such as Communications or Public Relations
• Impressive written and verbal communication skills
• Compelling presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills
• Proven social media/digital marketing skills
• Experience writing news releases, newsletters and website content
• Website content management knowledge (experience with Joomla would be considered an asset)
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Resourceful with strong problem solving ability
• Experience working with volunteers or in a non-profit environment would be considered an asset
• Experience and an interest in collaborating with First Nations Communities would be considered an asset.
• A valid drivers license and access to a vehicle for occasional travel
About NS Trails The Nova Scotia Trails Federation
(NS Trails) is a non-profit organization that represents the interests of trail users and volunteer community-based recreational trail groups in Nova Scotia. NS Trails supports the work of community groups in the planning, building, maintenance and management stages of recreational trails. As the provincial trail umbrella organization, the primary goals of NS Trails are to promote the development and responsible use of recreational trails for the benefit and enjoyment of all Nova Scotians and visitors to our province. NS Trails is also the provincial partner for the Great Trail in Nova Scotia.