Nova Scotia Great Trail Officer
Independent Contractor – 8 months
Location: Halifax or Western Nova Scotia
Canada is home to the greatest trail in the world. Our epic trail of trails was created by thousands of dreamers, can-doers, volunteers, friends and partners sharing the same audacious goal of connecting our country. This past summer, The Great Trail was officially connected in Nova Scotia and across our great country. It was 25 years in the making and we’re not finished yet! There is so much more to accomplish!
This past January, the Trans Canada Trail announced the opportunity for Phase 2 in Western Nova Scotia to become part of The Great Trail brand. In addition, the Trans Canada Trail is looking to enhance the user experience by making efforts to transition interim roadway routes to greenways and developing strategic loops and or spurs.
The Nova Scotia Trails Federation (NS Trails) has been the lead partner for The Great Trail in Nova Scotia since the Trans Canada Trail project began over 25 year ago. We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic, high energy professional who loves and uses trails to work with NS Trails, our community-based trail groups along with all our partners and stakeholders to continue to enhance the Great Trail project in Nova Scotia.
The Nova Scotia Great Trail Officer will work closely with and take direction from the CEO of NS Trails and the Chair of the NS Trails Great Trail Committee. The Nova Scotia Great Trail Officer will work with national Great Trail staff along with community volunteers, partners and stakeholders across the province to enhance The Great Trail in Nova Scotia.
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
• A university degree or community college diploma in a related field
• A general knowledge of trails in the province
• Experience working collaboratively on community development projects and partnerships
• Experience working with or within municipal government
• Proven project management skills
• Impressive written and verbal communication skills
• Compelling presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Resourceful with strong problem solving ability
• In possession of a valid drivers license and reliable vehicle
About NS Trails
The Nova Scotia Trails Federation (NS Trails) is a non-profit organization that represents the interests of trail users and volunteer community-based recreational trail groups in Nova Scotia. NS Trails supports the work of community groups in the planning, building, maintenance and management stages of recreational trails. NS Trails is also the lead provincial partner for The Great Trail in Nova Scotia.